Rear Impact Guards Included in Annual Inspection
Effective December 9, 2021, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will require rear impact guards to be examined as part of the annual inspection for each commercial motor vehicle (CMV).
Final Rule Details
- Agency: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Document ID: FMCSA-2019-0211-0026
- Federal Register Number: 2021-23796
- CFR: 49 CFR Parts 393 and 396
- Topic(s): Highway Safety; Motor Carriers; Motor Vehicle Safety; Reporting and Recordkeeping Requirements
FMCSA amends the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) to include rear impact guards on the list of items that must be examined as part of the required annual inspection for each commercial motor vehicle (CMV). In addition, FMCSA amends the labeling requirements for rear impact guards, and excludes road construction controlled (RCC) horizontal discharge trailers from the rear impact guard requirements, consistent with changes made by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to the corresponding Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). This final rule responds to rulemaking petitions, as well as a recommendation from the Government Accountability Office (GAO).
This final rule is effective December 9, 2021.